Monday 1 December 2014

My Top 7 Haircare & Styling Products

I often get asked how I make my hair so soft and glossy (you guys flatter me!), so this week's post is all on my haircare tips and tricks, along with the seven choice products I use to keep my locks in check.


First up, I naturally have very straight, thick hair. I'm half Chinese and half Australian, so I definitely get that smoothness from my Asian genetics! But having dead straight hair also means that it's difficult to put my hair up as the styles often fall out, and heated hairstyles tend to only last a few hours. 


So that's where these products come in! While I buy makeup fairly often (sorry wallet), I rarely buy hair care products, and that's because I've pretty much already found my A-Team! These all work together to help keep my hair healthy and make styling time a whole lot quicker and easier.

So let's get into them!

Shampoo & Conditioner:

John Freida Sheer Blonde Colour Renew


You might be thinking, blonde shampoo and conditioner?! But you have dark hair! While that may be true, I dyed my hair a couple of months ago to a deep purple brown, and using a blonde shampoo (which is purple by the way!) helps to stop that purple going brassy, while maintaining the colour. 

Even if you don't have blonde or colour treated hair, I definitely still recommend the shampoos and conditioners from John Frieda - they make my hair really soft and lightweight. It's a bit exxier than your regular supermarket brands, but they're often on sale at Priceline, so they're worth the spend!


Hair Serum:

Puretopia Pure Protect Repair & Nourish Serum


Even though I have straight hair, that doesn't mean that it's always silky! Sometimes I get fly away strands (especially baby hairs along my hairline - SO annoying!), and this lightweight serum helps to smooth everything down. I usually use it after washing my hair while it's still wet, before blowdrying.


Heat Protectant:

muk hot muk Thermal Protector


EVERYONE needs a heat protectant! Whether you regularly heat style your hair or blow dry it, a thermal protector is a must as it provides a barrier between the heat and your hair. Plus it will help stop your hair from frizzing! I've tried a few different ones, but this one is my favourite because it makes my hair smell delicious!


Texturising Spray:

mul beach muk Sea Salt Spray


Anyone with straight hair that seems to fall out of hair ties, flops into your face, and blows everywhere in the wind, get a sea salt spray in your life! These help add a little grit to your hair so it has some texture and grip when styling. You know those big, wavy, beachy hairstyles? SEA. SALT. SPRAY. Spritz it on before blowdrying and scrunch with your hands to get easy waves.


Hairspray:

TRESemme Salon Finish Freeze Hold Hairspray


Another straight hair problem is that most styles just fall out after a few hours. But this hairspray is SUPER strong, holding your styles in place for easily the time span of an event. I often curl my hair the night before an event, and my style still holds overnight after using this hairspray! Plus, it doesn't make my hair crunchy, like other hairsprays tend to do.


Dry Shampoo:

Polished London Dry Shampoo in Blightly Brunette


Having dark hair, regular dry shampoos just won't cut it as they are often white and powdery, making my hair look muddy and heavy. This particular one sprays out brown, so it's less obvious. It really does help extend the time between hair washes and it also gives my hair some volume when I spray it on layer by layer on the roots.


Volumising Powder:

Schwarzkopf Instant Volume Powder


I really only use this if I have an event, because it can be a little messy to apply! It's a very fine powder that gives your hair some texture and extra hold, and you just apply it to the roots and boof up your hair and it helps to lift up the hair from the roots, making your hair more voluminous. It's especially great to use after curling your hair, as it makes the waves extra soft!


And they're my favourites! I definitely don't use them all everyday, but I use most of them every time I wash my hair (which is maybe twice a week only haha). 


What are your top hair care products? Let me know in the comments below!

Share:

10 comments

  1. Your hair is seriously gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your top picks!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. woowww a lot of products! no wonder your hair looks so gorgeous! <3

    rheapunya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dry shampoo is such a wonder & amazing blog & would you like to follow each other on GFC, Google+
    & Bloglovin? Lemme know & lets keep in touch! :*)



    X
    http://subhamrai.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your tips

    lisaxbeauty.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Your hair looks so healthy and lush, with just the right amount of volume, which I guess is a big deal due to the amazing products you listed above. Thank you so much for sharing everything! Stay beautiful, Jessica!

    Nathaniel Holt @ Detail Woman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have extremely beautiful hair! I just love this article on your hair styling products. Well dear, I always use my Sedu flat iron for the straightening of my hair. It works really great. The best thing is that the Sedu flat iron is safe for hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey I found your blog through this post and I'm so glad I did !
    I'm also half Chinese ! the other half being English, and my hair is JUST like yours ! Except my natural hair colour is light brown.. hahaha. For my hair I don't use much products, i just oil my hair once / twice a week with natural oils because I'm growing it longer and I use Superdrug own brand hairspray when I have my hair in an updo because its just so slippery ! and Superdug own brand dry shampoo whenever my hair gets oily. My hair has never been so happy and manageable !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Lili! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your comment, it's so cool to meet another halfie! And it sounds like our hair is EXACTLY the same; I'm forever having my buns fall out due to that silky slipperiness hahaha!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Your blog serves as a reminder that, in an era of information overload, quality and depth still matter. Thank you for setting such a high standard."
    https://usepromos.com/how-to-get-detergent-stains-out-of-clothes/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig