Friday 25 April 2014

Modcloth's Wanelo Challenge - An Autumn Look That Works For An Intern!

I rarely ever turn down an opportunity to flex my stylin' muscles (now that sounds weirder than it did in my head haha!) so when Modcloth (Modcloth. MODCLOTH!) contacted me to take part in their weekly Uniquely You style challenge on Wanelo, how could I say no?

Have any of you ever used Wanelo before? It's kind of like Pinterest, except you create collections of items–clothing, shoes, accessories, beauty, home wares, etc.–that you can buy from online stores. So like a big 'ol online wish list that you can directly purchase from.

It was my first time using it and I have a feeling that I'm about to become addicted to it... So if you have a Wanelo account, let's be friends! My username is @hijessicaanne, same as the rest of my social media.

Anyway, back to the challenge! All of the bloggers competing are required to create an outfit based around a certain piece of clothing from Modcloth. My challenge piece was the Bouquet Of The Season Dress, a gorgeous flowy dress with a feminine sweetheart neckline and warm-toned floral print.


At first, I thought this dress would be perfect for a spring-style look, but I thought, why not challenge myself? I live in Australia where it is currently the end of autumn, so I decided to style it for fall!

I also started an internship recently, so with that in mind, I wanted to create an outfit around this dress that would not only be suitable for the autumn weather, but could also work as an outfit in a creative office environment.

So here's the look I came up with!

Because I adore my summer dresses, I always try and work them into my autumn and winter wardrobes by layering them underneath knitted jumpers or over the top of collared shirts. Because I wanted to create an internship appropriate look, I paired the dressed with a white shirt with an animal print neck tie. The bow would fall over the neckline of the dress, which would look super pretty and professional in a creative setting!

Because it's pretty cold out too, I added a pair of sheer black tights for warmth and a burgundy coat and floppy hat for extra cosiness. The waistline and belt tie on the coat also sits exactly where the waistline is on the dress, so those two pieces complement each other really well, especially as they're both in the same colour family.

In the cooler months, I tend to always be rocking a pair of heeled boots and the pair I've featured is really similar to a pair I already own. They toughen up the look a little bit, but the heel and laces do keep the look feminine.

Lastly, being the beauty lover that I am, I couldn't help but add a few makeup products into this look! I'm a big fan of TheBalm's Schwing eyeliner for creating a defined, winged eye look which goes perfectly with the vintage vibe of this outfit. And of course, a bright lip colour to go with the deep pinks in the dress is pretty much a must! Lime Crime's Velvetine in Suedeberry is the perfect accompaniment.

If you're interested, all of the pieces featured in my Wanelo story are all available on Modcloth! Want more internship or office outfit inspiration? Modcloth has an entire section dedicated to pieces that work (haha, get it?), which you can see here.

How would you have styled this dress? Let me know in the comments below!
Share:

1 comment

  1. OOOOH such a beautiful dress, the vivid colours are sooo delightful!!!

    I think your style is perfect and I wouldn't have changed it ^^

    恵美より ♥
    www.emi-doll.blogspot.jp

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig