Sunday 21 April 2013

Easy Fishtail Braid Tutorial

The fishtail braid is one of those hairstyles that look absolutely gorgeous and ridiculously difficult at the same time.

BUT. It's not! (Ridiculously difficult, anyway. It is, in fact, absolutely gorgeous.)

Okay, granted it did take me approximately 894,567 times to teach myself how to do it (over many, many years), but NOW I FINALLY CAN! I'm not one of those beauty bloggers that can just do anything beauty-related perfectly the first time. There are a whole list of things I CAN'T do. But it just goes to show that if you really love to learn, practice really does make perfect. 

And now that I have the fishtail braid down pat, I can help teach you wonderful readers how to do it too!

*Thank you to my beautiful cousin who taught me how to do it. You're a star!


Taken By Surprise Tutorial: The Fishtail Braid


You will need a hairbrush/comb and a hair tie. That's it!
(And bobby pins if you have layers to help keep it neat)

1. So your hair is giving you grief this morning? Put those strands in order! Stop stressing and tame your locks with a good brush until your hair is smooth and knot-free.





2. This is the hard part. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy as pie! Fishtail braids are pretty much just the result of a lot of weaving strands of hair, in a very specific way. I've given each photo little arrows, so hopefully it helps!

First up, gather your hair onto the side you want your braid to be and split your hair into a front and back section.

Take a small piece of hair from the back section and...

...pull it OVER the back section and add it to the front section. 

Then take a piece from the front section...

...and pull it OVER the front section and add it to the back section. 

3. Repeat this weaving process (it becomes automatic after a while) until you run out of hair. Then secure that fishtail with a hair tie!



4. To give the look a soft, undone (let's be honest, a cute hipster vibe), gently loosen the braid by pulling at sections. Be gentle, and the braid will look bigger and "effortless" (even though it totally wasn't).

And we're done!


Cast me in the Finding Dory? 
Hmm, something smells fishy...
What has your go-to hairstyle been lately? Let me know in the comments below!
Share:

6 comments

  1. I love all your tutorials! They're so easy to understand. Great! [:

    demivanputten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled upon your blog. I love how you do the braid!

    Shikin Kikin | http://shikinkikin.blogspot.sg/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this braid! Wish I could do it on my own hair :)

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig