I feel like over the last few months, I have been completely obsessed with anything ombre. Ombre hair, ombre nails, hair chalk, dip dye clothes... There's just something about the really pretty gradient of colours that I just love!
So I thought for today's blog post, I would do a tutorial on how to get ombre nails! It's a super easy mani - achieved in just five steps! - and you can choose any colour set that you like - yellow/orange/red for a gorgeous sunset effect, mint/green/teal for a lovely mermaid tail look, or whatever tickles your fancy!
For this tutorial I decided to use shades of blue, including the added touch of blue glitter french tips - I bought this AH-MAZING Lime Crime Zodiac Glitter from Lady Petrova in the shade "Aquarius" (my birth sign!), so I thought I'd make this mani super special with a bit of extra shine and shimmer.
I actually did the same mani for my cousin over Christmas in shades of pink (you can see it below), except I did her nails dark to light, whereas mine are light to dark. It all depends on what colour glitter you use - match it to the shade closest to the tip, and that way it goes along with the gradient of colours.
Taken By Surprise Tutorial: Glitter Ombre Nails
What you will need:
- Four shades of the same colour nail polish (or three shades plus white polish)
- Nail polish remover
- Clear topcoat
- Cosmetic or nail glitter
- A small dish
- Cotton tips
- A sponge (any dense sponge will do)
1. First off, open each of your nail polish bottles so they're easy to get to (you need to work fast so the sponge doesn't dry out - you'll see what I mean later). Then paint each colour in your preferred light-dark or dark-light order on the tip of your sponge.
2. Press the sponge straight onto your nail in a dabbing motion. You will need to do this repeatedly to get a blended gradient happening. If the polish seems to get dry or "sticky" repaint each shade onto the sponge and go again. Don't worry if you make a massive mess - the more mess, the better the gradient ombre looks! Plus we clean it up later ^-^ Don't forget to wait for your nails to dry!
|Don't worry if you can still see the tip of your nail - the glitter will hide that anyway.|
3. Now to clean up! Pour some nail polish remover into a small cup (I just used the lid of the bottle) so you're not constantly dipping into the bottle (which is annoying and time consuming haha). Then using cotton tips, remove the polish around and underneath your nails.
4. Glitter time! Pour a small amount (you don't need much) of the glitter onto a dish. Using your clear top coat, paint french tips onto one nail at a time to your desired thickness, and then dip the tips into the glitter. Feel free to very gently press the glitter onto your nails if they look thick or uneven. Don't worry if you get some glitter on your nails and not just the tips - it looks super pretty to have a little sparkle there too!
5. Then just finish off with clear top coat (I use two coats to seal in the glitter), wait for your nails to dry, and then your glitter ombre nails are done!
What colours would you use if you recreated these nails? Let me know in the comments below!