Friday 5 October 2012

Winged Eyeliner Three Ways (P.1 Pencil Liner) - Makeup Tutorial

Hi everyone!

If there's one makeup look that I go gaga over, it's the winged eye. It's a never fail go-to for day or night and is waaaay quicker than applying eyeshadow, but it still looks dressed up and flirty - in only a few seconds!

And as a lot of people have been asking me how I get my cat eye flick so perfect, I thought a little tutorial is in order!

But because you ladies all have your favourite eyeliner products, I've made three separate tutorials - one for pencil liner, liquid liner, and gel liner! So no matter which one you have, you will still be able to pull off a gorgeous winged eye!

So without further ado, here is part one of my Winged Eyeliner tutorial series!

Taken By Surprise Tutorial - Winged Eyeliner Three Ways Part #1

Soft Kohl Eyeliner Pencil





1. As always, get your eyelids ready for eyeliner with a primer patted on gently to the eye lid with your ring finger. You can also use a liquid concealer or foundation if you don't have a primer. Also apply a small amount to the outer corner of the eyelid.

I used Maybelline's Fit Me Concealer in 10

2. Using a soft kohl eyeliner pencil, start from the inner corner of the eye and begin tracing short strokes along the upper lash line, staying as close to the lashes as possible.

I'm using NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Rue Saint-Honoré.
I love using coloured eye liner pencils for that extra pop of colour!
Here we're just "drafting" the line.
3. Go over these strokes, closing the gap between each dash. Then lightly trace over the line you've created to make the pigment stronger. Pencil is the easiest to smudge, so define that line if you want it to last all day (or night)!




4. To create the wing, take your pencil and hold it at an approximately 45 degree angle on your face so each point joins the end of your eyebrow with the side of your nose. This is the natural angle you need to follow to create the cat eye flick, so try and imagine the line the pencil would create.


5. Mark a dot about 5mm-1cm out from the outer corner of the eye at the same angle as the imaginary line, then connect that dot to the outer corner of your eye - this is the flick :D


Sorry about all the lighting changes!
6. Flesh out the flick, and thicken the liner towards the outer corner. When filling in the outer corner, draw inwards from the end of the flick towards the eye.

I like to draw a soft sideways triangle shape, then fill it in to get an accurate flick.

7. Finish off by curling your lashes and applying lashings of your favourite mascara!

Rimmel London Scandaleyes Mascara in Black
And we're done!





Stay tuned for Part Two, using Liquid Eyeliner to create a winged eye!

If you'd like to see me talking a bit more about the winged eye, or would like a few extra tips and tricks of mine, here's the video from when I was interviewed as part of the Rimmel Beauty Insider competition earlier this year. Scroll down to Jessica-Anne to watch it :)

And for those wondering when the results will be out, I've heard they'll be announced later this year. Don't worry, I'll keep you guys updated :)
Share:

14 comments

  1. I really love your tip on shadowing your pencil by 45*, that's such a good, accruate idea! I never thought of priming the winged part... it sounds so much more logical now that you've demonstrated how it won't smudge. And that you've popped the cats' eye with the gorgeous blue! It really makes your eyes pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bambi! It's an old trick that I love :) I'm glad that you liked it! x

      Delete
  2. Nothing can beat a good sixty winged eyeliner with a flick. I am a fan in all occasions! well done! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So am I, definitely one of my favourite makeup looks <3 x

      Delete
  3. Hello, I found your blog from a friend and I went to visit! I loved your post and I am going to stay on top of all the news!

    I hope my blog:

    www.todacharmosa.com

    If you want to follow me I'll be very happy! ♥ hugs..

    http://lookbook.nu/pathymoreira
    http://facebook.com/blogtodacharmosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really love the blue eyeliner on you! it looks great :D
    makes me want to try some different coloured eyeliners too, since i only own black ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my your eyes are so pretty here!!

    High-Stitched Voice

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really loove blue eyeliner *-*
    it looks great on you :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiki! It really makes brown eyes pop, you should try it :) x

      Delete
  7. you are sooo pretty. cool make-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the blue eyeliner on you! you are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial. The pictures really help.

    Sandra
    http://prettythingsncraft.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig