Sunday 19 August 2012

Purple Smokey Eye - Makeup Tutorial (Using Lancome Michelle Phan Glamour Eyes Kit)

Hi there! As I type this, I have just got home from the new Spiderman movie - it was so good! Maybe more because of Andrew Garfield who I think is just super cute haha 

Anyway, as I promised a few posts back, I bring you a makeup tutorial for the purple smokey eye!



It's a look that's great for both day and night, and looks gorgeous on all eye colours (yay, versatile makeup!) though especially lovely on girls with brown eyes.

When I attended Michelle Phan's Masterclass (yes, THE Michelle Phan!!) a few weeks back, I picked up her limited edition Lancome Glamour Eyes kit which I was really excited to get my hands on - normally you can only get this in the US!


So this is what I used to create this look. If you don't have this kit, you can always just use colours that are similar and it will look just as good :)

The kit includes: Color Design Eyeshadow Palette in 308 Violet Magnetique...
...a full-size Artliner Liquid Eyeliner...
...and a mini-size Hypnose Doll Eyes Mascara (which is a staple in Michelle's YouTube videos!).

Taken By Surprise Tutorial: Purple Smokey Eye


1. Apply your regular foundation/concealer/blush/bronzer/uptoyou routine. I'm already wearing:
- Rimmel London Wake Me Up Foundation in Beige
- The Body Shop Concealer Stick in 02
- Estee Lauder Silky Powder Blush in 11 Nude Rose
- Garnier Roll-on Under-Eye Concealer in Medium

2. Get your eyes all ready for eyeshadow by applying primer. Apply all over the lid, up to the brow bone, and just under the lower lashline.

I use a primer by SHE, it's lovely and foamy, and makes my skin super velvety  
Gently pat onto eyelids using your ring finger.
3. Starting off with a very pale pink toned white eyeshadow colour, apply all over the eyelid and up to the brow bone.


Eww, I have a bit of primer left on my eyelashes haha
It's subtle and in this photo it doesn't look like I have any on, but trust me,
 a neutral white shade all over the lid is always the first step to creating a great base for colour. 

4. Taking a shimmery rosy pink colour with gold undertones, apply over the lower area of the lid, then blend out towards the crease. This makes the colour seem to 'smoke' out. 




For a bit of extra colour, using an angled brush, apply along the lower lashline.

5. Taking a cold-toned lilac purple colour, apply into the crease and blend blend blend so it seems to melt into the rosy pink.


How pretty is this colour?? I just kept staring at it haha 
Start from the middle of the crease then blend outwards.
I find that if I apply shadow into my crease too close to the inner corners,
the crease shade looks really obvious. Better to blend into that area.

6. Using a heavily pigmented silver colour, apply to the inner corners, centre of the lid, and under the brow arch. This adds highlights to your eyes and makes them look brighter :)

Aww Lancome's signature rose 
Inner corners in a sideways 'V' shape.
In the centre of the lid and blend out. Make sure most of the colour is in the centre.
Then just in the arch of the brow. Go easy though, otherwise your eyebrows will look shiny like metal haha
7. Using an angled brush, apply a deep pink with purple undertones along the top and lower lash lines as eye liner.

I adore this colour, it reminds me of the galaxy!
Go from the inner corner then out towards the outer corner, in short strokes.
For more oomph, blend this colour into the crease from the outer corners. Create a subtle wing/point.
8. Line your top lash line with liquid eyeliner, then create a 45 degree flick at the outer corners to create a wing. Aim the flick towards where your eye brow ends for a natural-looking flick.

This was my first time using this liner - I normally always use Sportsgirl's To The Point Liquid Eyeliner -
but I quite liked this one as it was really black, bonus!
Apply in short strokes, especially as this liner is quite wet and very dark,
so take care to create a straight line. 
9. Curl your lashes (if you're anything like short-lashed-me, this is a must!). Apply mascara in a shimmying motion to coat lashes, then gently press the wand against your lower lashes to coat them but avoids the "spidery" look.


How cool is the wand on the Doll Eyes Mascara! It helps your outer lashes really flare out,
so you really do get that doll-like effect.
♥ And that's it! 



I hope you all found this tutorial useful, and if you try it out, I'd love to see a photo! Tweet me @hi_JLY. Until next time!

What's your favourite colour smokey eye? Have a makeup tutorial request? Let me know in the comments below and I'll see what I can do :)

Share:

22 comments

  1. very pretty!

    http://angeldiamante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great look my dear!! (:

    xx from
    http://heelsandroses.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the make up *-*
    xo
    http://beauty-lifestyle-fashion-blog.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the eyes! The TOTALLY pop! Love it!
    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    http://psbananas.com
    BLOGLOVIN
    FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tutorial dear! :) Love the purple shade!

    XO, Mish
    http://starmishie.blogspot.com
    PS Giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a pretty makeup look! I just love the colours in this set!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww thank you, I'm glad that you do :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. so pretty! i havent even taken mine out of the box yet lol, cant wait to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have to, it's so gorgeous! Definitely becoming a staple in my makeup bag :) x

      Delete
  9. so pretty! purple eyeshadow is hard to pull off but you do so perfectly!

    www.beckspick.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely make up!
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so pretty! i really love the contrast of purple eyeshadow with brow eyes! you did a great job!

    bijou-minou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous tutorial!! My fave smokey eye is a nice golden fade to dark brown!

    xx
    Steph Yt.
    Fashion & Lifestyle Photography Blog: Ginger and Lace

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh great tutorial! love the last smoky eye! so helpful to see how you layer the different shadows

    love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely pics!

    http://thehandbagconcept.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow that looks great! i might try that! you look beautiful!! xx danii

    http://ecobirdstyle.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great makeup tutorial!!! love these colors mixed together!!!
    its perfect for a more dresses up day!
    xxx
    www.bohemianbones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by lovely :) What's the link to your blog, I can't find you x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's hard to find well-informed people about this subject, however, you sound like you know what you're talking about!

    Thanks

    my web page :: weight loss
    my website - weight loss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig