Monday 27 August 2012

Peacock Feather-Inspired Eye Makeup Tutorial

After seeing the gorgeous shades of green, blue and purple eye makeup on the models at Roberto Cavalli's Fall 2012 Milan Fashion Week catwalk, I have been head-over-heels for this peacock-inspired makeup!


image source
image source
image source
image source
But as much as I adore these looks, they're not so easy to wear! Which had me thinking, because I really wanted to find a way to wear this look without looking over the top. So after a bit of experimenting, I think I've found a way that uses all these super pretty colours for a look that has just the right amount of drama yet isn't too crazy!



Taken By Surprise Tutorial: Peacock-Inspired Eyes


At the beginning of this tutorial, I have already applied:
- Rimmel London Wake Me Up Foundation in Soft Beige
- Garnier Dark Circle Roll-On in Medium/Dark
- Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light 10
- Estee Lauder Blush in Nude Rose
- Estee Lauder Bronzer in Bronze Goddess
- Sportsgirl Lipstick in Rosie Posie
- Sportsgirl Liquid Lip Colour in Just The Two Of Us
- Rimmel London Eyebrow Pencil in Dark Brown

What I used:
Plus NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Rue de Honore
which I forgot to include in this photo, whoops!
1. As always with eye makeup, the first step is always to use primer all over the lid, and lower lashline. If you don't have primer, a liquid consistency concealer will work too, as long as you prep your peepers for colour!
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light (10)
I actually applied a bit too much here...
Pat the product onto your lids using your ring finger nice and gently.
Apply a little into the lower lash line as we're going to apply some eyeshadow here too.
2. Have you ever used your powder eyeshadows wet? Wet eyeshadow application makes the colours look more vibrant which is perfect for this look.  Wet your eyeshadow brush and pat lightly with paper towel to remove excess water.



3. Using the damp brush, apply a metallic olive green eyeshadow into the inner third of the lid. Also apply on the lower lashline, directly underneath the colour on the eyelid.

Beauty Essentials: Be Essential Eyes 12 Colour Eyeshadow Palette
(This cost me about $8 at Priceline!)


Use the tip of the brush to get a thinner line.

4. Using a light gold, apply in the inner corners, which will brighten up the green and give it some more dimension.



5. Taking a metallic purple, apply along the next third of the eye lid, blending the green into the purple to create a seamless gradient of colour. Line the lower lash line with the purple as well, again lining it up with the purple on the lid.




6. Apply a shimmery sea blue colour on the outer third or outer "V" of the eye (including the lower lash line), and create a slight point at the outer corner. Don't forget to blend the blue into the purple!




7. At this point, your eye makeup will look like it has a very defined starting line at the crease. But peacock feathers fan out, so to mimic this, use your ring finger to lightly smudge the edge by patting (not rubbing or wiping) which will smoke out the shadow.


8. Using an black gel eyeliner, line the top lash line, staying as close to the lashes as possible. Use short strokes for easiest application, and create a small 45 degree wing at the outer corners.

Rimmel London Waterproof Gel Eyeliner in Black 

9. Using a metallic cobalt blue eyeliner crayon, line bottom water line, from the outer corners in towards the middle of the eye stopping before the green eyeshadow starts.

NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Rue Saint-Honore 


10. Curl your lashes then apply a lengthening, volumizing and defining mascara. Use a shimmying motion for the best effect!

Rimmel London Scandaleyes Mascara in Extreme Black


And that's it! I love the shimmer this look has to it, and because it doesn't venture much past the crease, every time you close your eyes, everyone will see this gorgeous flash of colour!




Would you try this peacock-inspired look? If you have any tutorial requests, let me know in the comments below :)



Share:

16 comments

  1. I've always wanted to try a peacock eye but thought it was too bright or too subtle when I wanted a statement! So naturally I got excited when I saw this post on my dashboard :) Your version keeps the colours very pigmented but still bold enough to wear everyday, I love it! I've actually never thought of using primer on the lower lashline, but it would make sense now that I've thought about it haha, thanks for the tip :) I've never used wet eyeshadows and now am keen to try :O What a great tip for a more matte effect! I love your step-to-step tuts, they're so easy and approachable to want to replicate! And the end result looks gorgeous :) Your curls look so light and bohemian, all you're missing a a floral crown and a kickass 70s soundtrack to dance around with haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bambi, I'm so glad that you found this useful! :D Haha yep, primer is definitely the best first step, and one I learned about not long ago, so don't worry :) Aww thank you so much, it means a lot to hear that you think that about my makeup posts, it definitely inspires me to make more :) Haha yes!! That was the exact hair style I was going for, so glad it came through! :) x

      Delete
  2. wow!! this is amazing!! thanks for sharing! I will defs have to try this!!

    http://mrmrswalsh.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice post...and the make-up is beautiful..:)

    http://thecherrybombdiary.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, gorgeous. Good tutorial as well. Thanks for nominating me, very sweet of you. Such a pity I saw it a bit too late because of the summerholidays. Anyway, thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like it :) and not a problem, you're very welcome! I hope you enjoyed your summer break :) x

      Delete
  5. thanks for the tutorial :D it was easy to follow!
    love your hair, tell me when you come to Indonesia (Jakarta) ok? I want u to do a model for my photography studio ;)

    rheapunya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the tutorial :D it was easy to follow!
    love your hair, tell me when you come to Indonesia (Jakarta) ok? I want u to do a model for my photography studio ;)

    rheapunya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess this fall eyeshadow is about green nice tuto. x Romi
    http://www.blaastyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful - love your more subtle version :) xA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post you have beautiful natural eyes *__*

    Love Emi

    emi-doll.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you make it seem so simple. Great job!

    [fashionablyfly.blogspot.com]

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your 'toned-down'' peacock look. I will promise myself to try the colours out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure it will look great on you :)x

      Delete
  12. Wow!!! Actually, you have clearly described about peacock-inspired makeup. I really love it. Thanks for sharing..

    Here is my site with amazing & quality handbags that will wow you...

    http://www.mynewyorkbag.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really happy to read this website posts which contains lots of valuable facts, thanks for providing these statistics. Most famous bridal artist in north india

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig